Thursday, July 23, 2009

Flag Retirement

Monday night Spanish Fork held their annual flag retirement ceremony. They do this every year as part of their Fiesta Days celebration. Chris's unit is the one who performs the ceremony and it is very cool. You see, they actually burn the flags, not just make the allusion that they're burning it like other ceremonies in Utah County. (Stadium of Fire) Here are some pictures from this years event.

They take the flag down from the flag pole at the fair grounds and walk it over to the fire.

Then they throw it in...

and all salute it.
After the big one is burning they let boy scouts come down and help them throw smaller flags into the fire. They had a lot of flags this year so it took awhile.

Then they do a 21 gun salute with these cannons. It is really cool but loud. Isaac didn't enjoy it as much as I did.

Isaac with dad after it was over.
They also had a Paladin there to look at as well as another Army truck and fire engines.
It is an awesome ceremony that I would recommend to anyone, especially if you have boy scouts.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do they burn the flags? Am I the only one who doesn't know this? Maybe I was sleeping in my 5th grade civics class.

The Kroebers said...

They burn flags that aren't fit to be displayed anymore, the ones what are torn, etc. That is the official way to get rid of them.