As many of you probably know we have been living with my Grandpa for the last year. He has needed help around the house and yard and we needed a place to live so it has worked out nice for all of us. It has been especially nice to be here since Chris left since there has been a lot of family around and a lot of people who are willing to help.
The last few months my grandpa's health has slowly declined. He would get pretty sick and then bounce back and be relatively healthy again. This last week he had another hard week where he didn't get out of bed for a few days and was needing more help than normal. My Aunt Becky came down as she often does and had decided that she would have to stay longer than she had planned. It is a good thing she did because on Friday night he had a stroke. We called the hospice nurse and my uncle and they came and helped us get him into his bed where he has been ever since.
We have had a lot of family gathering to say goodbye. It is always nice to have family around. My boys love their Gramps and are going to miss him dearly. Eli went out into the garage and chose some of his tools to keep. He chose the smallest wrench there was, a small "Eli sized" hammer and screwdriver. My grandpa loved working with his hands and building things so he wants to pass his tools along so that his family can continue the tradition. I had Eli go into Gramps's room and show him the tools. We told him that we loved him and he mumbled back that he loved us too. It was very special to me because the night before he was not able to say anything understandable but I did understand him tell me that he loves me.
Isaac especially loved his Gramps. Whenever he saw him he would crawl over and pull himself up on his leg and beg for him to pick him up. I would have to pick him up and put him in Gramps arms since he was not able to lift him anymore. Isaac would walk down the hall and into Gramps room and say hi to him. Grandpa called Isaac Big Ike. Big Ike would always have a smile for Gramps and loved to give him five. My grandpa is a big BYU fan about as big a fan as you can be. He has a BYU beanie type hat that he would wear in the winter and whenever Isaac saw it he would reach for it and go uh uh uh (which he always does when he wants something) until you put it on his head.

This morning when we were getting ready to go to church Gramps wasn't doing well and we didn't know if he would be alive when we got home. So, I brought Isaac in to say goodbye to him. I told Gramps that we were there and he opened his eyes and looked at us. I told him that we loved him and again he told me that he loved us too. I told him to tell Granny hi from me and then I told him goodbye. Isaac was just watching Gramps the whole time. I told Isaac to say goodbye to Gramps and Gramps started waving with his right hand which was previously paralized from the stroke. Isaac then waved back to him and continued waving until we had left the room. It was a very special moment shared between the oldest and youngest members of the family. They really have had a great relationship and I am very glad that we have been able to be here and that my boys have been able to spend time with Gramps. He is such a great man and a great example.
Gramps is still with us. He is on Morphine and sleeping in his bed. We are just waiting for him to go be with Granny again. He has missed her so and will be very grateful to be with her again. We will miss him and it will certainly be more lonely around here.
2 comments:
I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa Heather. I hope the time passes peacefully & quickly for you all.
Brittany
This was very emotional to read. Ha. I don't know him very well, but the little I have been able to get to know him he's such a nice man. He doesn't know me at all (hardly) but he always said hi and asked how I was doing when I'd come over and he came out. It's a bitter sweet blessing. He will definitely be missed, but he will be able to be with his wife again. It's great that you get to be with him for his last little bit here. I hope your family all does well. :)
Post a Comment