Friday, October 23, 2009

Sand Hollow

I have a new love. Last weekend we decided to go down to Sand Hollow State Park. It was Eli's Fall Break so we wanted to do something fun and Chris had been wanting to go fishing. It was a quick trip but it turned out to be just what I needed.

I have always loved Southern Utah and this is no different. The scenery was great.


Chris and Eli fished for an hour or so while Isaac played in the sand on the beach. Chris caught a pretty nice large mouth bass. Isaac thought he wanted to hold it until he tried and felt the poky teeth in it's mouth.

I sat there and watched Isaac play and enjoyed the quiet, stress free time. It was very therapeutic for me.

After fishing Eli also played in the sand

and water.
(It makes me cringe when I see all of that muddy sand being dumped on Isaac's head. He didn't care at all though.)

Sand Hollow also has a scuba diving park. Chris's parents and nephew came down and they all did a few dives. This picture is kind of blurry but I like it. I couldn't get Isaac's swimsuit up higher. I tried many times.

The lighting on this isn't great but I like it. I love that time of night when the sun is just gone down and you can just see the outlines.


We stayed the night at a hotel in St. George and went back the next day. Eli and I built a sand castle.


Isaac watched.

Chris's mom and nephew Jairus recently completed their scuba certification. This was after their first real dive. I didn't get to dive this time because I had 2 cold sores. (And since then I've gotten another, yes 3 cold sores at the same time. It's miserable.) I was bummed that I couldn't dive. They said it was really nice, probably the best lake dive in Utah.

The trip was so great that even Chris's dad's car breaking down and delaying our estimated time of arrival by 6 hours didn't ruin it. And that's saying something because nothing ruins a road trip like a broken down car.

Thanks to a great brother-in-law and a lot of answered prayers we all made it home safe.

Finally some lessons learned from the trip.
1. Thank goodness for Redbox's. Nothing keeps kids occupied while trying to fix a trailer than a new movie and we got several.
2. Nothing is more fun for boys than throwing rocks in the water.
3. No matter how many times you tell your 2 year old to not throw rocks in the direction of others he isn't going to listen. Thank goodness the cut on the back of Eli's head was small and didn't require further medical attention.
4. I enjoy scuba diving more than I thought I did.
5. I want a boat almost as much as Chris does.
6. I LOVE SAND HOLLOW
(when the wind isn't blowing which I heard it does, often and hard.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Heather! I love the end. Red sand is so beautiful. Bummer that you couldn't dive. Is it just because it hurts with cold sore to have the gear in your mouth? I am so sorry you have 3. What is up with that? I love you-Jen

The Kroebers said...

Jen, yes it's just that the gear would hurt my mouth. I didn't think I cared that much until we were there. It's okay though because it's close so we will definately go back.

And We Sailed On said...

Wow, what a fun trip! Cold sores are the worst, So sorrY! The boys are so cute throwing rocks and i love your post. you are a great mom.

Brittany said...

I agree. Give boys a body of water and a pile of rocks and they are happily occupied for hours.