Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Building a Chicken Coop

My Mom and Dad spend part of their mission helping with humanitarian projects. One of the projects they help with are building chicken coops and providing chicks so that the people can raise the chickens to sell. We wanted Eli and Isaac to have the experience helping in this way so my parents scheduled a coop to be built while we were there. I was surprised at how much the boys actually helped. They did a good job and hopefully learned something.












This is pretty much all I did, put hurricane straps on. My arm hurt after a few and it was hot but I figured I should participate in some way so I kept with it.

This is where I hung out most of the time, in the shade. I had to keep Keenyn occupied and there really wasn't much I could help with. So I just sat and watched everyone else work.


Towards the end Keenyn just wanted Chris. It was cute but Chris was trying to work. I told my Mom that Chris probably couldn't remember the last time he built something of that size with just a hammer. He has a nail gun that he uses for projects like this. They did almost all of this with hand tools. There isn't a lot of people with power at their house in Jamaica so they have to use hand tools.

All of us with the finished coop.


When we were done we cooled off by swimming in the pool. My Mom was swimming laps and I said "Wow, Grandma is a good swimmer." to Eli. His response was "She's had a lot of years to practice." Made me laugh.

No comments: