Sunday, November 15, 2009

Letting Go

I've never had much of a problem letting Eli find his independence. First time in nursery, a breeze. I was so happy to be able to actually listen in church again. Preschool, we were both happy to have some time away. We really like each other more and get along better when we have some space. I was even okay with him starting kindergarten. Sure, there was some worrying about new influences that I couldn't control but he was so ready for school and I knew he would like it so much that the worrying didn't have much of a voice.

Lately I'm having a harder time letting go. This morning he made his own breakfast. It wasn't just pouring a bowl of cereal, he made scrambled eggs. All by himself. All I did was spray the cooking spray in the pan. Last week he made lunch for himself and Isaac. PB & J's.

A few weeks ago he asked me if he could ride his bike home from school by himself. I didn't want to let him but he really wanted to. We only live 1/2 mile from the school and it isn't a busy street, especially at that time of the day. There is a crossing guard at the corner of the street he would have to cross. So, I told him he could. Then I went and waited on the corner and watched him come up the road. Before he could see me I ran home so he wouldn't know I was there waiting for him. (Of course that was the day the crossing guard wasn't there. He told me that he looked for cars and was really careful crossing the street.)

Last week he asked me if he could ride his scooter to school by himself. Once again I let him. Isaac and I followed him in the car. We made sure to stay about 1/2 block behind him so he wouldn't see us. I watched him until he made it to the school then I drove home.

I'm glad he wants to do things on his own especially after I volunteered in his class last week and one girl wanted me to help her go to the bathroom. Umm.... sorry, I didn't sign up for that. (She didn't really need help, I've seen her go by herself before. I think she just wanted attention.)

So go Eli, find yourself. Continue to be confident in your abilities. I will try not to hold you back and try to let go a little more. But please while you're out there, be safe.

5 comments:

Destiny Kroeber said...

Man! Even though it is exciting to watch him grow and develop more and more of his personality, I think he's growing too fast! :( I kinda chuckled at the imagine of you "hiding" to watch him, but that's part of what makes you such a great Mom. I think you're doing amazingly well at "letting go" and still making sure he's safe. :)

Lindsey said...

That would be hard for me and he isn't even mine - but good for you for letting him do things on his own. I'm sure he thanks you for the independence!

Polly said...

Heather, you are an amazing mom!! You write beautifully too. Eli and Issac are very blessed to have you!!

Anonymous said...

I love this post Heather, it is one of my favorites. Sweet Eli. He will laugh when he reads this when he is an adult.

Martha said...

Heather! You're brilliant! You've raised a boy that thinks for himself. And now you are letting him do just that! I love you for it. I love your sweet family and I especially love the post on the thankful tree. Another great idea, even if it wasn't your own. I might go make myself a tree right now! love you, m